Flush Mount Channel Letter Installation Instructions - LED Channel Letters
This sign is intended to be installed in accordance with the requirements of Article 600 of the National Electrical Code and/or other applicable local codes. This includes proper grounding and bonding of the sign.
- Refer to the drawing included with the letter set that depicts the arrangement of the subassemblies.
- Unroll paper pattern, and tape to substrate. Level and center pattern on wall. Drill holes for secondary low voltage whips and mounting holes, and then remove pattern. Mount letters on the wall using the drawing as a guide. If letter set does not have rivet nuts, remove faces push secondary low voltage whips through substrate, mount letters onto substrate, and then replace faces. If the letterset does have rivet nuts, install threaded rod into rivet nuts then push secondary low voltage whips (run in metal conduit) through substrate and secure with hardware from the back side of substrate.
- Refer to wiring diagram below (figure 1) and the transformer breakdown diagram (provided with letter set) to splice the secondary conductors. Each secondary circuit has a dedicated transformer and is color coded on the transformer breakdown sheet. Connect all of the positive leads (red or white insulation) from each letter in the secondary circuit together in parallel using UL approved wire nuts or crimp connectors (crimped with manufacturer’s specified crimping tool). Next connect all of the negative leads (black insulation) from each letter the secondary circuit together in parallel using UL approved wire nuts or crimp connectors (crimped with manufacturer’s specified crimping tool). Finally, connect all of the ground leads (bare wire with no insulation) from each letter the secondary circuit together in parallel using UL approved wire nuts or crimp connectors (crimped with manufacturer’s specified crimping tool). Repeat this process for each secondary circuit.
- If a Sloan damp location rated transformer is supplied, no transformer box is required (skip to step 6). If any other transformer is supplied, a transformer box will also be supplied. In this case, mount the transformer boxes; OPEN SIDE UP, as close as possible to the center of the circuit that will be powering. It should be mounted at the same height as the letter set to minimize whip lengths. Next, install the transformer in the box as specified per the transformer box manufacturer’s instructions included.
- Route the three secondary circuit leads (positive, negative and ground) inside the transformer box.
- Connect the three secondary circuit leads (positive, negative and ground) to the transformer and/or transformer box as specified per the transformer and/or transformer box manufacturer’s instructions included.
- Connect the primary electrical supply to the transformer per the transformer manufacturer’s instructions included.
- Repeat the steps above for each transformer circuit.
- At least one On/off switch, rated for the application, must be installed on the primary "hot" lead within the line of sight of the transformers.
- Signs cannot be connected to a branch circuit exceeding 30 amperes.